The Cleveland Blues Society hosts monthly jams on the second Monday of the month throughout the greater Cleveland area.
If you would like to join a jam, become a host venue, or be the host band, click on the links below to get more information.
If you still have questions about the jams, contact Anthony Lovano, CBS Vice President and Jam Manager.
Cleveland Blues Society Jam Procedures
The Band or Venue representative must submit a request for consideration to be the Host Band at a CBS jam. Requests may be sent in via our website or by contacting one of the jam committee members listed below. A member of the jam committee will contact you to go over the details. Adjustments may have to be made periodically that will require Venue/Band selection to move out of the normal date requested sequence. For example, a cancelation, disband, venue closes or new management.
Band selection / rotation is done by date of submitted request, location of jam and best geographical area for the band to play. Bands must be of a Blues Genre. See CBS Jam Host Band Guidelines.
Venue selection / rotation is done by contacting current venues that support live music, are large enough to handle the size crowd we draw, large enough stage area, food and bar service.
Scheduling of Venues and Bands is up to the discretion of the Jam Committee. Adjustments may have to be made periodically that will require Venue/Band selection to move out of the normal date requested sequence.
- CBS will coordinate with Host Venues and Host Bands at least 3 months in advance to confirm schedules and make certain of the availability of both the band and the venue.
- CBS will promote the Host Band and Host Venue via CBS website, membership emails, newsletter and Facebook event posting.
- Throughout the Jam, CBS board or Jam Committee members will make brief announcements to introduce the Host Band, review pertinent information and upcoming events, thank you, etc. Only authorized personnel are allowed on stage to make announcements.
- CBS promotional items/merchandise may be available for sale at each jam.
- A Membership Coordinator or volunteer will be present to accept membership applications, renewals, and collect money.
- At each monthly jam, CBS will assign members to volunteer to do a 50/50 raffle, membership coordinating, and picture taking, etc.
- A designated person(s) will oversee monies collected and distributed, documenting the receivables and payables and depositing to the CBS bank account. A report will be sent to the treasurer and CBS accountant.
- Pictures of the Jam should be posted via social media, the CBS website and newsletter.
- Up-coming Jams and other CBS events will be posted on the CBS website, Facebook and other social media outlets.
- Send e-mail letters to prospective Host Bands inviting them to participate in the CBS Blues Jam rotation and communicating the expectations of the jam.
- Send letter/e-mail or contact in person the venues inviting them to participate in the CBS Blues Jam Host Venue rotation based on the above guidelines.
- Obtain preference on dates from both Host Bands and Venues. This is done via email or verbal requests. Host Venues and Host Bands are put on the rotating waiting list in the order in which their requests are received.
- Host bands and Host venues must be in existence for one year before being put on the waiting/rotation list.
- Host bands that are not familiar to the Jam Committee must have one of the following: Recommended by one of the board members that heard the Host band play, submit a CD for the Jam Committee to review or have a gig coming up that the Jam Committee or a board member can attend. They will not be put in the rotation until this is complete.
- If you are a board member and a musician, we ask that you wait until the end of the jam rotation list at the jam as to not show favoritism.
- If you are a board member and would like to be on the Host Band rotation list, this is not against the ethics clause in the bylaws if your band is paid as long as you wait your turn in the rotation.
- Host Bands may have members of their band that are in multiple bands. This is acceptable as long as they wait their turn in the rotation.
The designated Blues Jam Committee Chair/s shall be responsible for all of the above mentioned.
CBS JAM GUEST MUSICIAN GUIDELINES
Jam Musicians Signing up Agrees to the Following:
Sign up on the jam sheet as soon as possible. CBS follows the order of sign up as closely as possible.
Musicians must treat the Host Band equipment with care and respect. The Host Band expects their equipment not to be abused or you will be asked to step down from playing.
The Jam Manager puts the sets together based on:
- Order of sign up
- Instruments played
- How many of the same type instruments available at the time.
The Jam Manager tries to ensure all musicians on the sign-up sheet are treated fairly, respectfully and have the opportunity to play approximately 20 minutes. If there is a foreseeable problem of over-abundance or lack of musicians, then the number of songs may be adjusted to accommodate everyone.
- Time between each set should be no more than 10 minutes from stop to start.
- CBS asks that all musicians respectfully follow the direction of the Jam Manager
- Walking up on stage of your own accord to play out of turn is unacceptable and disrespectful to your fellow musicians and you will be asked to step down.
- Tune and prepare your instrument as much as possible before you get on stage. CBS has tuners available.
- CBS does appreciate your participation and enthusiasm at our jams. We could not do this without you.
CBS JAM HOST BAND GUIDELINES
Requirements: MUST BE OF THE BLUES GENRE
The band representative must submit a request for consideration to be the Host Band at a CBS jam. Requests may be sent in via our website or by contacting one of the jam committee members listed below. A member of the jam committee will contact you to go over the details.
To be considered to host a CBS jam event, the host band agrees to the following:
- The Host band will promote the jam any way they can (social media, networks, website, etc.).
- The Host band is the blues jam host for the entire evening and is expected to perform the first set which will commence promptly at 7:30PM to 8:30PM.
- The Jam will be run, organized and coordinated by CBS and their designated Jam Manager.
- The Host band should contact the Jam Manager, regarding any issues or questions about accommodations, concerns, problems, delays or cancellations.
- The Host Band will allow guest musicians to utilize their backline and PA systems for the jam. Therefore, this must be available until 12:00 AM.
- The Host band, can at their own discretion, inform the Jam Manager of any equipment concerns. The Jam Manager will then notify the guest musician to make adjustments accordingly or be asked to step down from playing.
- The Host Band should never approach the Host Venue for any type of payment. The Host Band will be paid at the end of the evening. This payment will be made directly to the Host Band by a pre-designated Cleveland Blues Society Board member.
CBS JAM HOST VENUE GUIDELINES
To be considered to host a CBS jam event, the Venue agrees to the following:
- Pay CBS a suggested minimum donation of $300 on the day of event. This donation is used to pay the Host Band for the event.
- The event time period will be from approximately 6pm to 12am. The venue should expect between 80-150+ people in addition to your regular attendance.
- Shall provide space for the musicians and a good power source.
- Both parties agree to advertise and promote the event (social media, networks, website, etc.).
- Always appreciated when a special drink and / or food item menu is made available for the event.
- Must submit a request in order to be considered to host a jam at your venue. You can send your request via our website or contact one of the jam committee members listed below. A member of the jam committee will meet with you personally to go over the details.
- Our monthly CBS jams are normally held on the second Monday of every month.
2019 Jam Schedule
January Jam (1/14/19) – Cebars – Blue Drivers
February Jam (2/11/19) – Smedley’s – Real Deal Blues Band
Spring Fever Picnic (2/24/19) – Parma Elks – Blues All Stars Band
March Jam (3/11/19) – Kurt’s Getaway – DiDi Franklyn
April Jam (4/8/19) – Union House – Juke Hounds
May Jam (5/13/19) – Grindstone – Shady Drive
June Jam (6/10/19) – Quaker Steak (Valley View) – Armstrong Bearcats
July Jam (7/8/19) – S.E. Gears & Cheers – Anthony Lovano Project
August Jam (8/12/19) – Merwin’s Wharf – Madison Crawl
September Jam (9/9/19) – Sand Trap – Blue Collar
October Jam (10/14/19) –Paradise – Brickhouse Blues Band
November Jam (11/11/19) – (Election Night) – Rock Creek – Blue Matter
December Jam (12/09/19) – Dino’s – Night Walkers