The Cleveland Blues Society Scholarship and Education Fund was created to encourage knowledge and appreciation of the Blues, while providing broader educational opportunities for recipients. For the year 2020, three $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to applicants.
- Current high school seniors who have been accepted into a college and will enroll in 2020/2021
- Students currently in college, but have not reached their final year
- A blues/music related class must be included in the applicant’s curricula (may include, but not limited to building and repair of instruments, composition, lessons, music therapy, music history and literature, music performance, music theory, music theater, recording management, entertainment law, sound engineering)
To apply for the Cleveland Blues Society Scholarship, answer the following question in the form of a 500-word essay:
“What does blues music mean to you and what role will you play in bringing music to people?”
March 15, 2020 (winners will be announced by April 15, 2020)
- Applicants must live in Northeastern Ohio
- Winners are required to follow up with proof of blues/music related class taken and provide 200-word follow up at completion of the year’s classes
The Cleveland Blues Society Scholarship Review Committee will review all applications and contact winners by April 30, 2020. Once notified, winners will have two weeks to respond and be available for a scholarship presentation and photos. If winners do not respond within two weeks another winner will be chosen. Checks will be issued to the college/university.
The Cleveland Blues Society is non-profit group dedicated to the preservation of blues music in the Greater Cleveland Area and Northeast Ohio. Through monthly blues jams, the annual Blues Cruise, member picnics, community support, Hall of Fame Awards, and the newly introduced Scholarship and Education Fund, the Society endeavors to grow knowledge and appreciation for the blues. The CBS newsletter spotlights events and includes features on local blues musicians, CD reviews and pictures of events. Visit our website at www.clevelandblues.org.